The best-selling car with private customers in Europe since 2017, the Dacia Sandero has marked its era by its extraordinary commercial success. After three generations and a popularity that continues to grow, the model has achieved iconic status in the automobile market. So, what are the secrets of its success? A super-attractive price, obviously, but also a contemporary design that combines robustness, quality and modernity, together with smart solutions that it was often the first to introduce. Discover the genius of the model here!
Being able to choose a new car at a smart price and spirit that will go wherever the mood takes you, even down the wrong road; enjoy city or country driving on your own, with a companion or the whole family, using the same car: the Dacia Sandero meets all your needs and desires. More than just a car, it’s an iconic market player, the first choice of private customers every year in Europe since 2017. So, how has this model that appeared in 2008 succeeded over three generations in attracting all these buyers with very different profiles (2.6 million cars sold!) without changing its fundamental values?
The first step towards ‘the outdoors’
First, let’s go back a bit to understand the origins of the Sandero
success story. After the Logan in 2004, Dacia decided to bring another
revolutionary model to market in 2008: the Sandero, a robust, agile city
car for all. A year later the Stepway version hit the road, announcing
the brand’s first steps into the outdoor market. Thanks to its generous
dimensions, high ground clearance, practical design and always
affordable price tag, it won the hearts of ‘smart’ buyers, with a
special approval rating for its new safety features, making the Sandero
the best-selling car in Europe’s private customer market as of 2017.
In 2021, the success story continued with the third-generation
Sandero, its appeal reinforced by a bolder and more contemporary design,
coupled with smart and innovative equipment – in a nutshell, even
‘cooler’, and still super-affordable.
The Stepway version exceeded all expectations. Versatile, more practical than a traditional city car for off-road outings but less bulky than an SUV, it appealed to all customer categories. Today, the Stepway version accounts for 66% of Sandero sales.
Three generations of the Sandero have
succeeded each other, taking the total number of vehicles sold to 2.6
million since the model was launched. Its top five markets in Europe are
France, Germany, Italy, Spain and the United Kingdom, and today 42% of
the cars we sell run on eco-friendly bi-fuel petrol and LPG engines. And
a little manufacturing secret: Dacia Sandero is produced in three
factories, on four lines. Every minute, a vehicle rolls off the line.
But this success owes nothing to chance. When engineering, design and
product heads at Dacia decide to come up with a new model without
changing the DNA that has made the brand so successful, they pursue
every avenue. All the solutions are put under the microscope to find the
one that best meets the customer’s expectations, i.e. the most
practical at the most affordable cost. Below we list ten examples of
“design-to-cost” and smart solutions that have contributed to the
model’s reputation and its commercial success.
Sandero, pioneering smart solutions:-
1. Modular roof bars – a smart innovation that capitalises on Dacia know-how! Simply adjust the attachment to pivot from longitudinal to transverse bars. No need to buy a second set of bars to stow a roof box, bicycles or skis. This innovation made its first appearance in the Dacia range with the third Sandero Stepway generation and was then deployed on other models.
2. The Media Control system, which lets you use your own smartphone as a multimedia screen in the car, thanks to development of a clever solution: a docking station directly integrated into the dashboard, conceived from the start of the project.
3. The simple and practical dashboard, fitted with an element that makes a huge design difference: a textile band integrated over the whole length of a zone that is both visible and tactile. The customer gets an attractive interior without having to pay for expensive materials.
4. Habitability and comfort. These two words define every Sandero generation. In the most recent model, a 40 mm increase in knee space offers greater comfort for rear seat passengers.
5. Practicality - A small hook is integrated in the center console to hold a bag or small personal objects. Ingenious!
6. Universal design – how to adapt to the needs and living conditions of customers in 44 countries, taking national legislation, the state of the roads and travel patterns into account? At Dacia, everything is analysed in detail. For instance, the 16-inch tyres have remained unchanged across the three generations to meet the requirements of all the markets where Dacia is active.
7. Options adapted to all tastes. Sandero customers are not all the same but they share a universal desire: to own a car that meets their essential needs. With the third generation, the Sandero offers a range of special options: electronic handbrake, sunroof or specific upholstery, etc.
Universal customers, proudly Dacia! What if the most ambitious challenge was to retain your customers, listen to them, innovate and continue to conquer the market without changing your cars’ DNA? A challenge that our engineers, designers and product heads have tackled with success, since Sandero customers are very diverse but have at least one thing in common: they are proud to own a Dacia! The figures speak for themselves :-
Terms and Conditions:-
Although every effort has been made to ensure that the information contained on this page is as accurate and up to date as possible, SMC Motor Group and Dacia UK reserves the right to modify its models without notice, including their characteristics, specifications,equipment and accessories. Brochures inevitably become out of date or inaccurate in some respects, in that such characteristics,specifications equipment, or accessories may be changed after the publication date given below and can differ from the descriptions given or the photos displayed. It is therefore necessary to check with our representative before purchasing any product that the characteristics, specifications,equipment or accessories of the vehicle on order are as advertised.
Take a closer look by using our interior and exterior tours